Monday, June 1, 2015

Events 1: Installation by Jane Mi in the MFA exhibition, Wight gallery


On May 29, I took a trip to the Wight Gallery to see an exhibit by Jane Mi. It was a busy midweek school day when I went, so I was the only one there at that time. I found this to be very cool and the lack of human surroundings really allowed me to feel like I could understand the art at a deeper level. I figured that Jane Mi's work was going to be like nothing I had ever seen before, and my hypothesis proved to be true. 


Figure 1: A selfie of me in front Jane Mi's work at the Wight Gallery

All of Mi's artwork was presented in a big room that measures 30 feet x 40 feet, and the floor was filled with gravel.  All of her work was set up in a very neat and tidy order, and I immediately felt as though a lot of hard work was put in to the presentation of her work. 


Figure 1: This is art by Jane Mi called Te Tai-Uka-A-Pia, also called the Frozen Sea  


This a great photograph taken with great quality,  which really gives the audience a wide perspective of how a frozen sea looks like. I especially liked this piece because it shows me something that I did not fathom was possible. Being from Africa, I hardly see snow, let alone being able to imagine an entire sea freezing over. This piece not only showed me the beauty of the Northern Hemisphere, but also brings me closer to understanding what I have been learning the entire quarter in this class. This art made me understand that there is a world out there that I don't fully understand and that I can learn more about, kind of like the world of space which we covered last week. Water is 75% of the world and the fact that such large bodies of water can be frozen by extremely low temperatures makes me realize how the world is changing. It is important that we, as humans, realize how our behaviors could be the reason for this. 


Figure 3: this is another piece  called The End of the Earth,

This is a generative animation Mi made, which is  5’ , and 10” in diameter. This piece of art is an iceberg tracker, which includes data from over a twenty-year period from 1995-2015. The movement of the object traces the iceberg’s movements through the current surroundings of Antarctica. This was my favorite piece because it shows how much technology has influenced the world in many ways. This tracking data was made through the work of technology. the collection of current and data is done is a way to me connects to what i learnt in this class. With art and technology, we are able to understand how things like this amazing piece work. 



This video I took during my visit to the Wight gallery shows the full view of Jane Mi's entire exhibit that she presented. This is a way for me to share my great experience with those of you who didn't get the chance to attend and see this amazing work by a great artist in person.


Citation/link

"The End of the Earth - Jane Chang Mi." The End of the Earth - Jane Chang Mi. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2015.

"Te Tai-Uka-A-Pia - Jane Chang Mi." Te Tai-Uka-A-Pia - Jane Chang Mi. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2015.

http://www.janecmi.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment